thou at times my heart would break...

thou at times my heart would break...
♪♪ there's a purpose in every change He makes ~ God makes no mistakes ♪♪

God’s Bridge to Eternal Life...

Friday, February 16, 2007

Dick & Jane ~ 1969-70

I have to go further back than I care to but it's of great importance to truly understand the significance of this memory in full!

I was in grade 1 and was extremely nervous when it came to reading aloud. Like clock work, I would have and episode... At this time in the family history, we had just moved to the North End of the city and our place was great. We had lots of play area, lots of bedrooms (4 children all under 6 yrs ~ much needed), and a lovely place for my momma to mother us. I'm certain it was a comfort to Dad too, knowing that my mom would meet other mom's in the neighbourhood.
With four small children, no one seemed to notice my reading problem, except Mrs Vail. I just couldn't read ~ the words of my Dick&Jane reader didn't say anything, they just jumped off the page in a random order and confused me... (Oh, and don't let me fail to tell you, we had to stand by our desks to read) ~ugh~
And with the confusion, came the tears ~ and lots of them too!! I was wiping my tears all up but most times things seemed better even after reading corner was done. Ah, to get home, away from school, books and yes, even sweet, Mrs Vail... One day, the tears didn't end in the classroom ~ a few of the kids found pleasure in calling me stupid and a few other hurtful names ~ it didn't let up all day! Being new at the school didn't help either...
After school this day, my mom asked why I was sitting in my room and not outside playing with the other kids. I broke down and told her about my day. I told her I was convinced Mrs Vail thought I was dum. She told me, that probably wasn't true. She sympathized with me about my dealings with the kids throughout the day. She hugged me and said, "we're going to work on the reading thing, together". I wasn't sure what she meant but I felt better with her knowing... My secret was out!!!


My mother was expecting her fifth child so she was in tiring easily. The best time for her to spend time with me was when all the other children were put to bed. This was a nice treat because I knew that my mother kept "Scotties" chips in her bottom drawer of her dresser. ~mmm~ I have to confess, I was hoping that after our reading lesson, she would offer me a bag! ~wink~
We worked together and after a few weeks of putting the other kids to bed, we sneaked to her room and yes, she shared the chips! I was improving more all the time ~ Mrs Vail even complimented me. ~smile~ We wondered if it wasn't more the audience I was reading to. Momma coaxed me to read to the classroom, imagining I was reading to her in her room! ~wink~ During the time in my mom's room reading, there were times when we had to stop ~ the baby was kicking! So for about 10-15 mins we would talk about the baby and of course, names were coming to mind! ~wink~

Momma says she'll name the baby Jane to remind us of this time spent together. "And what if it's a boy?" I ask. She is so quick to say, "I'm not naming any child of mine Dick!"
To be continued...

1 comment:

gailsgarden said...

What a great memory, Kim. I am anxious to hear the next part. So many kids need that extra attention to blossom.