thou at times my heart would break...

thou at times my heart would break...
♪♪ there's a purpose in every change He makes ~ God makes no mistakes ♪♪

God’s Bridge to Eternal Life...

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Happy B'day, Jane ~ Feb 18th, 1970 (Part 2)

Momma says she'll name the baby Jane to remind us of this time spent together. "And what if it's a boy?" I ask. She is so quick to say, "I'm not naming any child of mine Dick!" is where I left off...

The reading problem had been all worked out. I was reading like nobody's business and reading aloud to brothers and sister, if they would sit still to listen. ~wink~
But soon the time came when my mom was off to the hospital to have baby #5. I stayed with a neighbor, so I was close to school. And my favorite times of the day were checking up on my Dad. I went by and made sure he didn't sleep past the alarm, sometimes cooked him an egg and toast, and we had lunch together. Split Pea soup with ham with bread was our favorite... ~mmm~ Still a favorite but it somehow tasted much better with Dad!
One day I was late ~ I couldn't stop today but all was good... Dad's car was already gone. When I got home for lunch, it seemed one of Dad's workmates came home with him. I could hear my Dad talking to someone when I entered the bottom of the stairs. I yelled up the stairs, "it's me, Dad". And I heard soft voices and then steps. When I looked up from my boots, I saw the most beautiful site ever. I cried, "Mom...you're home". I ran up and hugged her tight and she soon let me know it was a little too tight so I eased up. My Dad chuckled and told me there was a nice present on the bed ~ I had a b'day about a week before. He said it was a late b'day gift! Boy, I couldn't wait to see it...
I padded down the long hallway and peeked in the room ~ the prettiest pink package I'd ever saw lay there just waiting for me. I layed on the bed beside her and looked in her face with both my parents peeking in the door with huge smiles. I asked, "is she really mine ~ I'll take really good care of her?", my dad chuckled (the big tease he was) and said "yes". Mom frowned and said, "Daryl..." Then she said, "I could really use your help around here". And I promised 100x's, I would be the best helper, ever! ...and then it dawned on me, "what is her name?" "Jane, remember?", Mom answered with a wink. I was completely overtaken and I whispered, "hi Jane, I'm your sister, I'm gonna take good care of you".

I stuck to my word the best I could and in no time, my mom was expecting again, so I did end up caring for the little girl more than I bargained for but I was never sorry. I took her on the bus when she was a toddler, washed out favorite outfits by hand (my absolute favorite was a pink pants suit ~ man, it was cute!), did her hair everyday, when I wasn't in school, etc. I had a neighborhood friend that had a sister the same age... Jane and she became great friends, they attended kindergarden together ~ Lanie G was her name... I often wonder if Jane remembers her...

Thoughout the summer, we took them to the park to play on the swings, and of course we weren't too big yet to play along... ~wink~
Happy B'day, Jane! I hope you have a great day... oX

1 comment:

Ann said...

Wow - Samantha looks like her mother in a big way. I hadn't noticed it before.